GONG FOR GOOGONGThursday, 4 August, 2011
After ten years of design and planning, the Googong team has received the highest of industry accolades with the prestigious Concept Design Award from the 2011 NSW UDIA Awards for Excellence.
The award recognises concept design plans where construction has not commenced and celebrates the highest levels of achievement in innovation, sustainability and industry leadership in the urban development industry.
Judges commended the holistic approach taken to Googong's masterplanning and highlighted the town's focus on sustainability and environmental features including:
- water efficiency – Googong's 16,000 residents will use less water than would normally sustain an average Australian community of 6,500, making the township a leader in sustainable integrated water cycle delivery
- energy efficiency – which goes beyond BASIX 25% energy savings with measures designed to achieve savings of 40%
- self-containment – of services, facilities and employment
- environmental sensitivity – over 23% of Googong is dedicated to open spaces. Streets, parks and a major thread of open space, ‘Googong Common', are designed to restore the landscape and provide valuable green spaces for the community
- quality public domain – a $283 million Voluntary Planning Agreement that will deliver top quality community facilities early
- affordable commitment – CIC is committed to delivering a minimum of 10% housing affordability
- diverse living – a wide range of housing types and prices to create real variety and choice.
With construction set to begin next year, we're thrilled to have industry endorsement of the Googong concept and recognition of its innovations.
For further information or to comment on the plan email firstname.lastname@example.org or call CIC Australia on (02) 6230 0800.